Blog Archive


Glorious Gal

Sharing my sanity savers: love, laughter, and inspiration.

Rocking out of the Rut. 3:49 PM

Do you ever get stuck in a rut? I do. Sometimes life just seems like a series of bursts forward, hanging on the brim at the edge of the rut, and then a slow slide backwards - right back to where it all started. I don't know what your rut might be, but I've got two - dieting and my writing. I loose 15 pounds and suddenly I'm right back where I started. I get my writing material ready for a book or an article, then something comes up and I lose steam.


But, once in a blue moon life hands out a surprise gift....

About 10 years ago, on an irrational whim I decided to pick up a paintbrush and try to paint. And to my astonishment, I simply could. It was the biggest shock of my life. I hadn't expected it nor truthfully had I even hoped for success. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Leonardo DaVinci but my work is pleasantly recognizable and a great source of pleasure.

Just yesterday, I picked up a brush and painted the rocking chair that sits on my front porch as a reminder that life isn't ALWAYS the same old same old. And since it's my favorite place to sit and think, maybe reminding myself to try something new is just what I need to rock myself out of this rut!

0 comments: